Named for Mrs. Harriet Dickson Reynolds this room is now a venue for meetings, programs, and receptions. Although this room is closed to the public, you can take a peek through the leather covered doors.
Mrs. Harriet Dickson Reynolds came to the Houston Public Library in 1924 as a Children's Librarian. She was appointed to Director in 1950. During her tenure, the library added 6 new libraries and renovated three others. She helped organize the Friends of the Houston Public Library in 1953 and in the same year oversaw an uneventful desegregation of the Central Library. Additionally, she acquired the Clayton home as a gift for the library, now our Clayton Library Center for Genealogical Research, and secured a Houston Endowment grant that helped start the Business, Science and Technology Department at the Central Library. Mrs. Harriet Dickson Reynolds served the Houston Public Library System for a total of 43 years.
The Reynold’s Room, which was formerly noted as the “Club Room” on earlier floor plans of the Julia Ideson Building, is next to the Norma Meldrum Children’s Room. Through the leather-covered doors on the right, one can see the 1926 chairs that have been restored. The wooden tables and credenza were custom-built in 2011 to match the chairs.
For more information about Mrs. Reynolds, please feel free to visit the Reference Desk in the Texas Room.